Field Trip Driver Information
A staff person will be the designated coordinator for each field trip. Coordinator’s responsibility is to plan and manage the field trip with the cooperation of the staff and parents involved. Coordinator will be responsible for bringing the school’s first aid kit along on the field trip.
Drivers and Vehicles
Drivers must be at least 21 years of age.
Drivers must be willing to drive to and from the school without side trips.
All drivers must have a valid drivers’ license, current car registration and a copy of declarations page of the current auto insurance policy on file at the school--coverage must be 100/300.
· Cars must have seatbelts for each passenger
· It is the driver’s responsibility to make sure all passengers are properly secured with seatbelts at all times.
· Parents must furnish car seats for children under 8 years or 4’9” and they must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.
· Children under 8 who are taller than 4’9” may be secured by a safety belt in the back seat.
· Children who are 8 years and over shall be properly secured in an appropriate child passenger restrain system or safety belt.
Passengers who are 16 years of age or older are subject to California’s Mandatory Seat Belt law.
Drivers must obey the California traffic laws and posted speed limits at all times.
The capability for cell phone communication is recommended. However, drivers are expected to refrain from cell phone use (hands free or not) while driving during a school field trip. In an emergency, please pull over to use your phone.
If possible, fill up your gas tank beforehand to avoid the need to stop for gas.
Each driver will receive a packet with:
· detailed directions and a map (if needed) to the field trip site and to any other destinations such as a place to have lunch.
· cell phone numbers of other drivers
· copies of permission slips and emergency forms with a consent to medical treatment for each child assigned to his/her car
Drivers are responsible for children in their car unless the staff adjusts assignments upon arrival.
Cars will caravan to and from the site—if you cannot see the person behind you, please slow down or pull over in a safe place until they can be seen.
If you want the driver in front of you to stop, flash your headlights.
So that all children can have an equitable experience adults/parents will bring their own food as there will be no stops to purchase food unless the whole field trip plans to stop.
The number of drivers is limited by requirements for each field trip. Not all parents can go on all field trips. Drivers will be rotated to allow equitable parent participation. Parents who wish to drive only their own children cannot be accommodated.